Sunday 9 December 2012

Haiti Earthquake


Previously, I thought Haiti's Earthquake terrifying tragedy was not that bad. I was one of the minorities of people out there who does not really concern about things happening around the world. It was an honest mistake, as there are factors contributing to the ignorance *wink*. But, the very first few minutes of playing this game, I started to realize how bad it was. I choose to be a survivor (because I felt bad for being such an ignorant...). The footage shown was such an eye opener. And personally, I felt like I am actually experiencing the aftermath. It is more like a lesson than a game for me. I remembered seeing my neighbor in that game, Magalie, was crying surrounded by destroyed buildings, houses and also belongings. 


Enough for the rough idea about the game, and now time to get to real business. How this game can actually help students in their writing lesson?
Well actually, this kind of game can really help the students to guide them in their writing including those with intermediate English proficiency. This is because, in this game, they were given choices to choose what step to be taken next. By actually thinking and asking themselves what step they wanted to choose, by that time, they are applying their critical thinking which later helps in their writing. Examples of writing activities that can be done are like, writing a newspaper report, journal and even writing an informal letter to a pen-pal who stays in Haiti. Thus, in short, I find this type of game can contribute to the students writing besides being the eye opener to the students about recent issues the world are facing today and in the future.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment